The Gazette was known as the oldest newspaper west of the Mississippi River. It was located from 1908 until its closing at the now historic Gazette Building. For many years it was the newspaper of record for Little Rock and the State of Arkansas.
The Arkansas Gazette began publication at Arkansas Post, the first capital of Arkansas Territory, on November 20, 1819. When the capital was moved to Little Rock in 1821, publisher William E. Woodruff also relocated the Arkansas Gazette. The newspaper was the first to report Arkansas' statehood in 1836.1
Through much of its history, the Gazette was in competition with the Arkansas Democrat. Competition became more intense in 1979 when the Democrat changed from publishing in the evening to publishing in the morning. After 12 years of bitter competition in the morning, the Arkansas Gazette published its final edition on October 18, 1991. The assets of the newspaper were sold to Walter E. Hussman, Jr., owner and publisher of the competing Arkansas Democrat. Hussman renamed the surviving paper the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.1 The surviving newspaper proclaims itself a descendant of the Arkansas Gazette, but this viewpoint is disputed by the 726 full-time and 1,200 part-time employees of the Arkansas Gazette who lost their jobs with the demise of their newspaper.citation needed
- Dougan, Michael B (1994). Arkansas Odyssey, The Saga of Arkansas from Prehistoric Times to Present. Little Rock: Rose Publishing Co. ISBN 0-914546-65-1.
- Reed, Roy (2009). Looking Back at the Arkansas Gazette: An Oral History. Fayetteville: University of Arkansas Press. ISBN 1-55728-899-2.