|Channels||Digital: 3 (VHF)|
|Affiliations||My Family TV|
|Owner||PMCM TV, LLC|
|First air date||July 9, 2001|
|Former callsigns||KBJN (2001–2005)|
|Former channel number(s)||Analog:
|Former affiliations||NBC, via KVBC (2001–2008)
|Transmitter power||1.2 kW|
The station signed on July 9, 2001 as KBJN, a satellite of KVBC, the NBC affiliate in Las Vegas. It was originally owned by Harris Broadcasting, who soon sold it to KVBC owner Valley Broadcasting Company.1 The call letters were changed to KVNV in 2005.
On July 1, 2008, Valley Broadcasting filed an application with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to sell KVNV to PMCM TV, LLC. The sale was approved on September 17, 2008 and was consummated on November 12, 2008; soon afterward, the station was relaunched as Intelliweather 3, carrying looping weather conditions and a news ticker.2 PMCM then sought permission to reallocate KVNV from Ely to Monmouth County, New Jersey, as part of a legal loophole that allows any VHF station that moves to a state with no FCC-licensed commercial VHF stations to receive automatic permission to move. After the digital television transition of 2009, Delaware and New Jersey no longer have VHF signals. (PMCM also looked to move KJWY, now KJWP, to Delaware under the same rule.)3 The FCC denied the request in a December 18, 2009 letter.4 The full Commission denied PMCM's application for review in a Memorandum Opinion and Order released on September 15, 2011;5 however, this denial was reversed by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit on December 14, 2012.6
KVNV affiliated with My Family TV in October 2009. During 2012, the station began to expand its local programming, including a local weekend public affairs program7 and a locally-produced children's program (to comply with the FCC's E/I regulations);8 KVNV also began to simulcast the noon and 6 p.m. newscasts of former sister station KRNV-DT in Reno,9 and added the statewide political show Nevada's Eye on Washington.10
- "APPLICATION FOR CONSENT TO ASSIGNMENT OF BROADCAST STATION CONSTRUCTION PERMIT OR LICENSE". CDBS Public Access. Federal Communications Commission. August 8, 2001. Retrieved February 7, 2001.
- Eggerton, John (December 14, 2012). "Court Reverses FCC Denial of Station License Reallocation to New Jersey, Delaware". Broadcasting & Cable. Retrieved December 15, 2012.
- "New TV program covers community". The Ely Times. January 27, 2012. Retrieved December 16, 2012.
- Eggan, Lukas (November 2, 2012). "Local TV station to help produce children’s show". The Ely Times. Retrieved December 16, 2012.
- "Local station to broadcast Reno news at noon and six". The Ely Times. March 23, 2012. Retrieved December 16, 2012.
- Eggen, Lukas (April 6, 2012). "News program to begin airing on Sunday morning". The Ely Times. Retrieved December 16, 2012.
- Official website
- Query the FCC's TV station database for KVNV
- BIAfn's Media Web Database -- Information on KVNV-TV