Kaman Aircraft

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Kaman Aerospace Corporation
Type Public
Industry Aerospace
Founded 1945
Founder(s) Charles Kaman
Headquarters Bloomfield, Connecticut, United States
Number of locations 241 offices, 5 distribution facilities
Area served Worldwide
Key people Neal J. Keating (Chairman, President & CEO)
Products Metallic and composite Structures, Specialty bearings, fuzes
Revenue Increase US$1.59 billion (FY 2012)
Operating income Increase US$92.8 billion (FY 2012)
Net income Increase US$55.0 million (FY 2012)
Total assets Increase US$1.1 billion (FY 2012)
Total equity Increase US$42.1 billion (FY 2012)
Employees 5,007
Divisions Kaman Industrial Technologies
Website www.kaman.com
References: 1

Kaman Aerospace /kəˈmɑːn/ is a U.S. aerospace company, with headquarters in Bloomfield, Connecticut. It was founded in 1945 by Charles Kaman. During the first ten years the company operated exclusively as a designer and manufacturer of several helicopters that set world records and achieved many aviation firsts.

In 1956, Kaman began to diversify2 as an aerospace subcontractor of McDonnell Douglas, Grumman and others. In the mid-1960s Kaman diversified outside of the aerospace industry, using the expertise Kaman had gained in composite materials and the end of the need for skilled woodworkers to craft wooden rotor blades. Charles Kaman, a guitarist as well as an aerospace pioneer, worked with his engineers and other musicians to create the round-backed, composite-body Ovation guitar, which revolutionized the guitar industry and led to the eventual creation of Kaman Music. Kaman Music is an independent distributor of musical instruments and accessories, and a major producer of guitars and guitar parts and accessories.

History

Charles Kaman founded the company in December 1945 with $2,000 of capital and his invention of the servo-flap controlled rotor.3

January 15, 1947 
K-125 - Kaman's first helicopter; Kaman selected an intermeshed contrarotating twin rotor design.
July, 1949 
K-225 - An improved version of the K-125; the U.S. Navy bought two and the Coast Guard one for $25,000 each. Later, they received the H-22 designation.
December 1951 
A modified K-225 equipped with a Boeing 502 (YT50) engine becomes the world's first gas turbine powered helicopter.4 This aircraft is now at the Smithsonian
1953 
Kaman produced the first electrically powered drone
April 1953 
Ordered for the U.S. Marine Corps, the HOK-1 first flies; Air Force version was the H-43A Huskie
1954 
K-16 A V/STOL designed around a rotoprop
March 1954 
A modified Kaman HTK-1 becomes the world's first twin-turbine powered helicopter
September, 1956 
HH-43 Huskie — A variant of the OH-43, equipped with a Lycoming T-53 gas turbine engine
July 1957 
QH-43 - A HTK-1 modified as a UAV5

In the late 1950s, Kaman built the Kaman K-17, an experimental tipjet powered helicopter6 using a Blackburn Aviation-built Turbomeca Turmo turbine powering a compressor delivering cold air to the rotor tips.7

The HU2K-1, selected by the USN as a general purpose naval helicopter, makes its first flight on July 2, 1959. It enters service as the UH-2A Seasprite in 1962.

March 1960 
Kaman develops and flies the firstcitation needed all composite main rotor blade.

In October 1961 the H-43 Huskie set an altitude record of 10,000 m (33,000 ft) and rate of climb records.

During the Korean and Vietnam Wars, the Huskie flew more rescue missions than all other aircraft combined — with the best safety record of any U.S. military aircraft.
1962 
UH-2A / B production begins
January 1964
First flight of Kaman's experimental Convertiplane equipped with a GE J-85 engine and wings from a Beechcraft Queen Air. The aircraft achieves speeds of over 320 km/h
1965
Tomahawk — A Seasprite modified with stub wings and a pair of twin guns side-by-side under the nose. Kaman's proposal for the US Army 's interim gunship helicopter between the AAFSS (AH-56) and AAH (AH-64) competitions. Lost to the Bell 209 (AH-1 HueyCobra)

Due to the limited power of its single engine, the Seasprites are modified for the USN into twin turbine helicopters.

1969 
US Navy begins LAMPS (Light Airborne Multipurpose System) development to obtain an on board helicopter for escort ships
1971 
SAVER — The Stowable Aircrew Vehicle Escape Rotoseat is the first jet-powered autogyro with telescoping rotor blades
May 1973 
SH-2F Seasprite - The LAMPS Mk I enters US Navy service
July 1976 
Kaman designs and begins manufacturing the K-747 blade, the world's first production all-composite rotor blade for the Bell AH-1 Cobra helicopter. Total production exceeds 4,000 blades.
January 1991 
Magic Lantern, a new laser-based mine countermeasures system, is deployed in the Persian Gulf during Operation Desert Storm. It is highly successful in locating mines.
February 1993 
SH-2G Seasprite - The new version of the Seasprite, with new avionics, mission electronics and GE T-700 engines, enters US Navy service
August 1994 
K-1200 K-MAX - a purpose-built helicopter with intermeshing rotors specializing in external load operations.
November 1998 
The Egyptian Air Force accepts delivery of its 10th SH-2G Super Seasprite for use in anti-submarine warfare missions, completing the order and becoming the first international customer to operate the aircraft.
August 1999 
New Zealand approves purchase of SH-2G(NZ).
January 2000 
Australian SH-2G(A) begins initial flight testing.
January 2001 
U.S. Government purchases 5 K-MAX for Peru.
October 2002 
The 5 Peruvian K-MAX are transferred to the Colombian Army where they are still in service as of 2008.
June 2008 
All Royal Australian Navy SH-2G Seasprite helicopters are withdrawn from service and returned to supplier8 as budget blew-out and contract specifications unable to be met.
January 31, 2011 
Charles Kaman, founder of Kaman Aircraft died in Bloomfield, CT.9

In June 2008 Kaman acquired Brookhouse Holdings Limited, a world leading composite development company based in the UK, and renames it Kaman Composites UK Ltd 10

Products

References

External links

Coordinates: 41°51′33″N 72°42′02″W / 41.859142°N 72.700471°W / 41.859142; -72.700471