Lindley, West Yorkshire
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2013)|
Lindley Clock Tower
Lindley shown within West Yorkshire
|OS grid reference|
|– London||165 mi (266 km) SE|
|Metropolitan county||West Yorkshire|
|Region||Yorkshire and the Humber|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||Yorkshire and the Humber|
|UK Parliament||Colne Valley|
Lindley is a suburb of Huddersfield, within the metropolitan borough of Kirklees in West Yorkshire, England. It is situated approximately 2 miles (3 km) northwest from Huddersfield town centre. Lindley is the location for Huddersfield's main hospital, the Huddersfield Royal Infirmary, which is in the Central Huddersfield Primary Care Trust, a part of the Calderdale and Huddersfield NHS Trust. In 1951, the scheme for building the new Infirmary was announced, with the initial cost being five and a half million pounds. Work started in 1957 but progress was slow and the hospital was officially opened in 1967 by Prime Minister and Huddersfield-born Harold Wilson.
Probably established by the Angles in the 600s as a farming community, it is mentioned in the Domesday Book under the names "Lilleia". In the reign of Edward the Confessor it was owned by Godwin, and in the reign of William the Conqueror it was being cultivated by Ulchel for Ilbert de Lacy, the Sheriff of Hertfordshire and descendant of the French noble family from Lassy. At that time, Lindley consisted of two farmsteads totalling "5 quarantens by 2 quarantens".
The Lindley Clock Tower is the most prominent landmark in Lindley,1 standing at the junction between Lidget Street and Daisy Lea Lane. This Art Nouveau clock tower was designed by the Manchester architect Edgar Wood in 1900 and erected by James Nield Sykes JP, in 1902. The tower also features four buttress figures, four gargoyles and four friezes. The top of the tower is accessible via the doorway at its foot.
Another key building in Lindley is Lindley Liberal Club, situated adjacent to Lindley Clock Tower. The Club has been in existence since its foundation stone was laid on 9 August 1887. The club came into use when building was completed the following year. This building is actually older than the Clock Tower, which was commissioned in 1902.
Lindley appeared top in a survey carried out in 2006 by the Royal Bank of Scotland. By creating an algorithm factoring aspects such as desirability, return on investment and affordability, the survey results listed the top 10 locations throughout the UK for first time buyers to get on the property ladder.
Lindley Band was formed in the late 1830s and has been a major band in Huddersfield for most of its history.citation needed It was one of the leading bands in the UK from 1880 to 1910. The band were featured in a 2008 episode of Life on Mars and also appeared in a 1950s film called Asylum. It is currently in the second section.clarification needed
Lindley Junior and Infants School is situated on George Street next to a housing estate. It caters for age group 4 to 11, with an enrollment of approximately 500 pupils. Lindley Junior School won the 2008 Schools' Song's Of Praise Choir of The Year competition. They have appeared on Look North, and have previously taken first place in the local Mrs Sunderland Music Competition.
- Brook, Roy (1968): The Story of Huddersfield. ISBN 0-261-61983-7