List of metropolitan areas in Europe
- This is a list of metropolitan areas. For a list of urban areas, see List of urban areas in Europe. For a list of cities proper, see List of European cities by population. For a list of European cities by country, see List of cities in Europe.
List includes metropolitan areas according only studies of ESPON, Eurostat, and OECD. For this reason some metropolitan areas, like Italian Genoa Metropolitan Area (population is over 1.510.000 as of 2012 according "CityRailway" Official Report), aren't included in this list, with data by other statistic survey institutes.
Figures in the first column come from the ESPON project, "Study on Urban Functions", which defines cities according to the concept of a functional urban area (core urban area defined morphologically on the basis of population density, plus the surrounding labour pool defined on the basis of commuting). Figures in the second column come from Eurostat's Urban Audit and correspond to Larger Urban Zones (LUZ). Figures in the fourth column come from the OECD Territorial Reviews and correspond to "metropolitan regions". Further information on how the areas are defined can be found in the source documents. These figures should be seen as an interpretation, not as conclusive fact.
|Metropolitan area name||Country||ESPON
Functional Urban Area
Larger Urban Zone
|Amsterdam metropolitan area||Netherlands||32,497,000||3,709,474||37,500,000|
|Barcelona metropolitan area||Spain||54,082,000||5,375,774||4,900,000|
|Belgrade||Serbia||No data||No data||No data|
|Birmingham (West Midlands)||United Kingdom||3,701,107||2,332,629||2,600,000|
|Greater Bristol||United Kingdom||1,041,000||1,090,080||No data|
|Bucharest metropolitan area||Romania||2,064,000||2,267,419||No data|
|Budapest metropolitan area||Hungary||2,523,000||2,971,246||2,800,000|
|Cardiff||United Kingdom||1,097,000||1,085,526||No data|
|Copenhagen metropolitan area||Denmark||61,881,000||1,893,010||2,400,000|
|Donetsk||Ukraine||No data||No data||No data|
|Dnipropetrovsk||Ukraine||No data||No data||No data|
|Dublin Metropolitan Area||Ireland||1,477,000||1,742,600||1,800,000|
|Greater Glasgow||United Kingdom||1,395,000||1,789,003||No data|
|The Hague||Netherlands||31,404,000||No data||Not listed3|
|Hamburg Metropolitan Region||Germany||2,983,000||3,209,759||4,600,000|
|Helsinki Metropolitan Area||Finland||1,285,000||1,532,309||1,800,000|
|Istanbul8||Turkey||No data||No data||11,400,000|
|Katowice metropolitan area||Poland||93,029,000||3,450,141||No data|
|Kazan||Russia||No data||No data||No data|
|Kharkiv||Ukraine||No data||No data||No data|
|Kiev metropolitan area||Ukraine||No data||No data||No data|
|Kraków metropolitan area||Poland||1,236,000||1,276,438||2,100,000|
|West Yorkshire (Bradford & Leeds)||United Kingdom||2,302,000||2,238,127||2,100,000|
|Lisbon Metropolitan Area||Portugal||2,591,000||2,839,908||2,700,000|
|Liverpool||United Kingdom||2,241,000||1,352,000||No data|
|London metropolitan area||United Kingdom||13,709,000||15,010,295||7,400,000|
|Madrid metropolitan area||Spain||5,263,000||6,369,162||5,600,000|
|Greater Manchester||United Kingdom||2,556,000||2,615,144||2,500,000|
|Marseille||France||1,530,000||No data||No data|
|Milan metropolitan area||Italy||114,136,000||8,071,274||7,400,000|
|Minsk||Belarus||No data||No data||No data|
|Moscow metropolitan area||Russia||No data||No data||No data|
|Naples metropolitan area||Italy||132,905,000||3,080,873||3,100,000|
|Nizhniy Novgorod||Russia||No data||No data||No data|
|Nottingham-Derby||United Kingdom||1,534,000||1,129,096||No data|
|Nuremberg Metropolitan Region||Germany||1,443,000||1,301,504||No data|
|Odessa||Ukraine||No data||No data||No data|
|Paris metropolitan area||France||11,175,000||11,797,021||11,200,000|
|Perm||Russia||No data||No data||No data|
|Porto Metropolitan Area||Portugal||141,245,000||1,286,111||No data|
|Portsmouth-Southampton||United Kingdom||1,547,000||151,498,402||No data|
|Rhein-Nord16 (Düsseldorf-Neuss)||Germany||173,073,000||187,790,763||Not listed17|
|Rhein-Süd16 (Cologne/Bonn Region)||Germany||173,070,000||193,023,545||Not listed17|
|Rome metropolitan area||Italy||3,190,000||4,194,068||3,700,000|
|Rostov-on-Don||Russia||No data||No data||No data|
|Saarbrücken - Forbach|| Germany/
|Saint Petersburg||Russia||No data||No data||No data|
|Samara||Russia||No data||No data||No data|
|Saratov||Russia||No data||No data||No data|
|South Yorkshire (Sheffield)||United Kingdom||1,569,000||1,596,298||No data|
|Stuttgart Metropolitan Region||Germany||2,289,000||2,678,795||2,700,000|
|Thessaloniki Metropolitan Area||Greece||1,052,000||1,166,914||No data|
|Turin metropolitan area||Italy||211,601,000||2,302,353||2,200,000|
|Newcastle-Sunderland||United Kingdom||1,599,000||1,141,879||No data|
|Ufa||Russia||No data||No data||No data|
|Volgograd||Russia||No data||No data||No data|
|Warsaw metropolitan area||Poland||2,785,000||3,253,214||3,000,000|
|Zürich metropolitan area||Switzerland||1,615,000||1,984,534||2,500,000|
Polycentric metropolitan areas in the European Union
|7||Katowice (Upper Silesian metropolitan area)||Poland/ Czech Republic||5,294,000|
- List of cities in Europe by population within city limits
- List of urban areas in Europe
- List of European city regions
- Lists of cities in Europe
- List of largest cities in the European Union by population within city limits
- List of urban areas in the European Union
- List of larger urban zones in the European Union (metropolitan area)
- List of European Union cities proper by population density
- List of metropolitan areas by population for the world
- World's largest cities
- Largest metropolitan areas in the Nordic countries
- List of metropolitan areas in the United Kingdom
- List of metropolitan areas in Belgium
- List of metropolitan areas in France
- List of metropolitan areas in Germany
- List of metropolitan areas in Italy
- List of metropolitan areas in Spain
- List of metropolitan areas in Sweden
- List of metropolitan areas in Poland
- European Spatial Planning Observation Network, Study on Urban Functions (Project 1.4.3), Final Report, Chapter 3, (ESPON, 2007)
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, Competitive Cities in the Global Economy, OECD Territorial Reviews, (OECD Publishing, 2006), Table 1.1
- Part of the Randstad polycentric urban region consisting of the metropolitan areas of Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague, and Utrecht (982,000). The total population of the region is 7,100,000.
- The Flemish Diamond metropolitan region, which consists of the metropolitan areas of Brussels, Antwerp, Gent, and Leuven, has a total population of 5,103,000.
- Total population is 4,251,000 if the metropolitan area of Mataro (169,000) is included.
- Part of the wider Öresund region, which includes the Swedish metropolitan area of Malmö (961,000). The total regional population is 2,842,000.
- Part of the Rhein-Main metropolitan region with a total population of 4,149,000, which additionally includes the metropolitan areas of Darmstadt (501,000), Wiesbaden (453,000), and Mainz (431,000).
- 65% of the population lives on the European part
- Part of the polycentric Upper Silesian urban region with a total population of 5,294,000. The region additionally includes the metropolitan areas of Ostrava (1,046,000), Bielsko-Biala (584,000) and Rybnik (526,000).
- Part of the wider Lille-Bassin Minier region with a total population of 3,115,000.
- Part of a wider polycentric urban region with a population of 6,011,000.
- When combined with the Augsburg metropolitan area (606,000), the region has a total population of 3,271,000.
- Part of a wider polycentric urban region with a population of 3,714,000/
- Part of a wider polycentric urban region with a population of 1,778,000.
- Excludes Southampton
- Polycentric metropolitan area
- Part of the polycentric urban region of Rhein-Ruhr, which has a total population of 12,190,000.
- Excludes Duisburg, Krefeld, Mönchen-Gladbach
- Excludes Bonn
- Total population is 1,262,000 if the metropolitan area of Utrera (82,000) is included.
- Total population is 1,716,000 if the metropolitan of Pinerolo is included.
- Total population is 1,499,000 if the metropolitan area of Sagunto is included.
- European Spatial Planning Observation Network, Study on Urban Functions (Project 1.4.3), Final Report, Chapter 3, (ESPON, 2007) page 241-243
- Geopolis: research group,university of Paris-Diderot, France - Population of urban areas of 10,000 or more
- Largest Cities (25,000+) of Europe by number of headquarters