||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (January 2012)|
Microsoft WebMatrix screen representation, 21 March 2013
|Stable release||7.1.1932.0 / 1 May 2013|
|Operating system||Windows 8
Windows XP (Service Pack 3)
Windows Server 2003
Windows Server 2008
Windows Server 2008 R21
|Platform||Intel x86 - 32bit and .NET Framework|
|Available in||English, Italian, Czech, German, Korean, Polish, Japanese, Russian, Port-Brazil, French, Turkish, Spanish, Chinese-Simplified, Chinese-Traditional1|
|Type||Text editor, HTML editor, Web Development, Website builder|
Microsoft WebMatrix is a free, cloud-connected web development application for Windows. WebMatrix enables developers to build websites using built-in templates or popular open-source applications, with full support for ASP.NET, PHP, Node.js and HTML 5. Microsoft developed WebMatrix for the purpose of providing web developers with coding, customization, and publishing capabilities all in one place.
In 2011, WebMatrix was released to support the large number of open source content management systems and to provide a lightweight web development application for PHP and the new, simplified ASP.NET Web Pages. It focused on a clean, simple user interface allowing web developers to build websites from scratch or by customizing open source web content management systems such as DotNetNuke, Umbraco, Joomla!, Drupal and WordPress, among others.
From 2011 to 2012, WebMatrix 2 Beta and RC releases added support for Node.js, mobile simulators, additional website templates, publishing to Windows Azure Web Sites and more. On September 6, 2012, the official release of WebMatrix 2 went public. The release of WebMatrix 3 was made available on May 1, 2013. Unlike Webmatrix 2, Webmatrix 3 will not run on operating systems earlier than Windows 7.2
ASP.NET Web Matrix, whose name was the inspiration for WebMatrix, was released in 2003 and later discontinued.
One of the limitations of using WebMatrix for website development is that it will install Microsoft's IIS server, not Unix based servers, which are more popular in web development. latest version of web matrix is 3
The link to download is here 3
- Simplified creation, publishing, and synchronization of companion cloud websites.
- Integration with source control systems including Git and Team Foundation Server.
- Editing for server side languages ASP.NET, PHP and Node.js.
- Support for jQuery, jQuery Mobile, LESS and Sass.
- Mobile simulators.
- Database manager for MySQL, MS SQL Server, SQL CE.
- Deployment tools for files and database.
- Deployment to either shared hosting, dedicated servers or Windows Azure.
- Transfer files using FTP and Web Deploy.
- Built-in SEO and performance reports.
- Remote and offline editing.
- Download remote sites to your computer for local editing.
- "Download details: Microsoft WebMatrix". Microsoft Download Center. Microsoft Corporation. 13 January 2011. Retrieved 28 January 2011.dead link
- Where can I find WebMatrix 2 after v3 released (v3 can't be installed on my vista)! : The Official Microsoft IIS Forums. Forums.iis.net. Retrieved on 2014-02-22.
- WebMatrix 3. Microsoft.com. Retrieved on 2014-02-22.