San Carlos, California
|City of San Carlos|
|— City —|
|Motto: " City Of Good Living "|
|San Mateo County and the state of California|
|• City Council||Bob Grassilli, Mayor
Mark Olbert, Vice Mayor
|• City Treasurer||Michael J. Galvin, CCMT|
|• City Manager||Jeff Maltbie|
|• California State Senator, 13th district||Jerry Hill (D)|
|• California State Assemblyman, 22st district||Kevin Mullin (D)|
|• Total||5.541 sq mi (14.350 km2)|
|• Land||5.538 sq mi (14.343 km2)|
|• Water||0.003 sq mi (0.007 km2) 0.05%|
|Elevation2||33 ft (10 m)|
|• Density||5,100/sq mi ( 2,000/km2)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|GNIS feature ID||277592|
San Carlos is a city in San Mateo County, California, USA on the San Francisco Peninsula, about halfway between San Francisco and San Jose. It is an affluent small residential suburb located between Belmont to the north and Redwood City to the south. San Carlos' ZIP code is 94070, and it is within the 650 area code. The population was 28,406 at the 2010 census.
San Carlos, "The City of Good Living", aims for a "small town" feel. Its main downtown area is composed mostly of small shops and restaurants. San Carlos was the first city in California to open a charter school (San Carlos Charter Learning Center), and its schools rank consistently well in state-wide lists.
San Carlos is home to San Carlos Airport and two museums. Located downtown, the San Carlos History Museum is dedicated to the display of the history of the town from early native American history to the space age. This museum is open every Saturday from 1pm to 4pm. The Hiller Air Museum, a museum specializing in helicopter and aviation history, which contains a replica of the first aircraft to fly, the aircraft with the longest recorded wingspan, and the nose section of a Boeing 747.
Transportation options include membership in the SamTrans (San Mateo County Transit) bus system and a Caltrain station. The administrative headquarters of both agencies are located at 1250 San Carlos Avenue. As of 2003[update], the city began experimenting with a free shuttle bus service named S.C.O.O.T to help with transportation difficulties for those living in the hills of the town, and especially to make up for a lack of school buses. However, voters rejected a parcel tax which placed 100% of the financial burden on property owners and the S.C.O.O.T program was dismantled on June 17, 2005.
City Hall was once located at 666 Elm Street. The address number was later changed to 600 Elm Street due to pressure from residents.
San Carlos was also once home of the Circle Star Theater where performers such as Richard Marx and Richard Pryor performedcitation needed. It was torn down and replaced by office buildings. San Carlos also once boasted the 2,500 student San Carlos High School which was closed in 1982 due to declining enrollment. Today, students travel to Belmont's Carlmont High School or Redwood City's Sequoia High School to receive their public secondary education.
Every May, the town hosts the "Hometown Days" carnival in Burton Park, the city's largest park. In October, the Chamber of Commerce hosts the San Carlos "Art & Wine Festival". Thursday evenings during the summer Laurel street is home to a weekly farmer's market known as "Hot Harvest Nights." However, most people call it "Farmer's Market".
San Carlos has been plagued with financial problems for roughly a decade. In order to remedy the situation, the city has taken the unusual step of outsourcing a number of functions, including its police services.
In 2009, a half-cent sales tax Measure U failed, forcing the city to cut costs to balance its budget. One of the initial changes was the outsourcing of San Carlos' parks services to save money. Its 85-year-old police department was then dissolved November 1, 2010. The San Mateo County Sheriff's Office absorbed all officers and department employees; thus turning the old department building into a sub-station. City officials said the shift would save the city roughly $2 million per year.
Another cost-cutting move the city was considering as of late 2010 was establishing a third tier for city employees. City officials in December were negotiating to establish reduced retirement benefits for employees hired after 2011.
The Belmont-San Carlos Fire Department, which was formed as a cost-sharing arrangement between the two cities in 1979, has been dissolved. The San Carlos Fire Department began operation October 1, 2011. The disagreements over cost-sharing between San Carlos and Belmont led to San Carlos opting to leave the arrangement in 2010. The Redwood City Fire Department has been contracted by San Carlos to provide administrative services for the San Carlos Fire Department, as a cost saving measure.
Prior to the Spanish arrival in 1769, the land of San Carlos was occupied by a group of Native Americans who called themselves the Lamchins. While they considered themselves to have a separate identity from other local tribes, modern scholars consider them to be a part of the Ohlone or Costanoan tribes that inhabited the Bay Area.
The Lamchins referred to the area of their primary residence - probably on the north bank of Pulgas creek - as "Cachanihtac", which included their word for vermin. When the Spanish arrived, they translated this as "the fleas", or "las Pulgas", giving many places and roads their modern names.
The Native American life was one of traditional hunting and gathering. There was plentiful game and fowl available, and fish could be caught in the San Francisco Bay. There were also grasses, plants and oak trees (for acorns), and archaeological finds of mortars and pestles indicates that these source were processed for food. No doubt they also participated in the regional trading networks for goods that could not be gathered or grown locally.
The Lamchin permanent village is thought to have been between the modern streets of Alameda de las Pulgas and Cordilleras Avenue, near San Carlos Avenue.
In 1769, Gaspar de Portolà was the first westerner to reach the San Francisco Bay. While early historians placed his approach to the Bay from the Pacific Ocean as coming over the San Carlos hills, present researchers believe this "discovery" actually occurred in present day Belmont.
The Spanish, with overwhelming military and economic advantages over the native population, quickly dominated the Bay Area. A mission was established in San Francisco, and land was deeded in large "ranchos", or ranches, to prominent and wealthy Spaniards, with no concern for the native populations that lived on them.
The new ranch owners raised cattle on the lands, displacing the native game populations and disrupting the food supply of the indigenous population. As well, the Spanish strongly discouraged the Native Americans from their periodic controlled burns, which helped maintain the grasslands.
Facing the end of their way of life, the local population had little choice but to seek assistance from the missions and convert to Christianity. Traditional trade routes and alliances fell apart by 1800. While the missions continued to receive converts throughout the first half of the 19th century, the Native American way of life in the Bay Area was all but destroyed by that time.
The land now occupied by the city of San Carlos was deeded as a single large rancho to Don José Darío Argüello. He and his family did not live there, but rather raised cattle and crops for money on "Rancho Cachinetac" (a Spanish derivation of "Cachanihtac"). José's son Luis Argüello was the first California-born governor of the state, and after his death in 1830 the remaining family moved to the ranch, now known as Rancho de las Pulgas. The family adobe was located at the present-day intersection of Magnolia and Cedar streets.
While the California Gold Rush of 1849 found no gold nearby, disappointed Sierra Nevada prospectors made their way to the region, bringing the first non-Spanish western settlers. The Argüello family retained deed to their ranch through the transfer of governments to the United States, and, in the 1850s, began selling parcels of it through their agent S. M. Mezes.
While the port of Redwood City, to the south, and the town of Belmont, to the north, both grew quickly in the late 19th century, San Carlos' growth was much slower. Major portions were purchased by the Brittan Family, the Hull Family, the Ralston family and Timothy Guy Phelps.
Timothy Phelps, a wealthy politician, made an early attempt to further develop the San Carlos area. He paid for significant improvements such as sewer lines and street grading, and began to promote lot sales in what he immodestly called "The Town of Phelps".
Phelps' sales were largely unsuccessful, and he eventually sold much of his land to Nicholas T. Smith's San Carlos Land Development Company. Other developers were not overly fond of Phelps' eponymous efforts, and decided to rename the town. Some maps are existent referring to the area as "Lomitas" ("little hills" in Spanish) but eventually due to historical legend, the name "San Carlos" was chosen. As noted previously, it was believed that Portolá had first seen the San Francisco Bay on November 4 from the San Carlos hills. November 4 is the feast day of St. Charles. As well, the Spanish king at the time was Carlos III, and the first ship to sail into San Francisco bay was the San Carlos.
The newly named region - not yet incorporated - received a boost with the construction of the Peninsula Railroad Corridor in 1863, and the addition, of a station at San Carlos in 1888.
Growth remained slow through the turn of the 20th century, with most residents enjoying the short 35-minute train ride to San Francisco while living in a rural setting. The Hull family operated a dairy located at the modern intersection of Hull and Laurel. Many of the other residents which were not involved in agriculture were wealthy business and professional men who worked with the railroad or in San Francisco.
Despite the efforts of the developers, growth was very slow in this period, and San Carlos ended the 19th century with fewer than one hundred houses and families.
The turn of the 20th century saw the layout of the initial town streets. While "Old County Road" east of the railroad track had been in use as a stage line since at least 1850, the present-day layout west of the railroad track was constructed in the first years of 1900. Cedar, Elm, Laurel, Magnolia, Maple (renamed El Camino Real) and Walnut were put down in this time.
Growth remained slow through the first fifteen years of the new century, but in 1918 the town had grown enough to build a school at 600 Elm Street. One year previously Frederick Drake ("The Father of San Carlos") had purchased 130 acres (526,000 m²) of real estate in San Carlos in foreclosure, and began marketing it. Growth came quickly, and the early 1920s saw Drake build an office at the southwest corner of Cypress (now San Carlos Ave) and El Camino Real, which is still existent, and as of May 2013[update] is home to a Parrot Cellular store. In the early 1920s, the cypresses along Cypress Ave. were removed, and the street widened and renamed San Carlos Ave. In 1923 the growing municipality founded a fire station, and in 1925 the founders voted to incorporate.
The Great Depression affected families in San Carlos, as it did everywhere, but growth continued, and population grew from approximately 600 at incorporation in 1925 to 5,000 in 1941.
While services such as stores increased in this period, by the beginning of World War II San Carlos was still known in the Bay Area as a rural community. Most of the land in the municipality was still used for agricultural purposes, and photographs of the time show a landscape with few houses separated by large fields.
During World War II, not long after the attack on Pearl Harbor, the American Kennel Club and a new group calling itself "Dogs for Defense" mobilized dog owners across the country to donate quality animals to the Quartermaster Corps. Dogs donated by a patriotic public to the Army saved the lives of a number of soldiers in combat.4
In October 1942, the US Army and “Dogs for Defense” came to San Carlos. The 178 acre site, at the top of today’s Club and Crestview Drives, which was locally known as the H and H Ranch, was selected to become the US Army War Dog Reception and Training Center5 (also known as Western Remount Area Reception and Training Center). It was established between 15 October 1942 and 7 November 1942.
The first enlisted men for the army post were temporarily housed in the San Carlos Fire Station (located on Laurel Street between San Carlos Ave. and Holly St.) from December 15 to December 28, 1942. Each dog handler was given four dogs to train, and at the end of the course, the trainer selected the best one and shipped out.5 Dogs were trained for sentry, attack, scout, and messenger roles, and later to detect mines. 1,200 dogs could be accommodated at any one time.
The first army dog platoon to go overseas in the Pacific was the 25th Quartermaster Corps War Dog Platoon, under the command of 1st Lt. Bruce D. Walker. When they left San Carlos, on May 11, 1944, none of the handlers knew what their final destination would be. They left via San Francisco aboard the Liberty ship SS John Isaacson for assignments in the Pacific Theatre.6
The facility closed in October 1944,5 with approximately 4,500 dogs going through the facility during the war.
In 1944, Dalmo Victor established the city's first large electronics plant, followed soon after by Eitel McCullough, Varian Associates, and GTE Lenkurt.
Establishment of these two firms was a factor in the quadrupling of San Carlos population in the decade after 1940. In 1950, when the population was 14,371, the city boasted a total of 89 industries: wholesalers, manufacturers and distributors, producing a variety of commodities from electronics to cosmetic. By 1958, the electronic industry comprised a substantial segment of the city's industrial area.
In the late 1940s when Bayshore was a two-lane road, the San Carlos Airport was moved from its former location between Brittan and San Carlos Avenues to its present site. The airport was bought by the county from Cal West Yacht Harbor in 1964 for $990,000.
- Luís Antonio Argüello, first governor of Alta California
- Kathryn Bigelow, film producer, director, first woman to win the Academy Award for Best Director
- Barry Bonds, former MLB player
- Bobby Bonds, former MLB player
- Steve Capps, former Apple Fellow
- Dana Carvey, actor
- Daniel Descalso, MLB player St. Louis Cardinals (2010–present)
- Jennifer Granholm, former governor of Michigan
- Rachelle Leah, model and television personality
- Brad Lewis, producer of Pixar film Ratatouille and former city mayor
- Timothy Guy Phelps, president of Southern Pacific Railroad
- Greg Proops, actor and stand-up comedian
- Sorcha Boru, pottery maker
- Tom Tennant, baseball player
- Bob Wasserman, former San Carlos police chief (1969-1972) and Mayor of Fremont, California (2004-2011)
- Rex Walheim, astronaut
San Carlos is located at 7.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 5.54 square miles (14.3 km2), of which, 5.54 square miles (14.3 km2) of it is land and 0.05% is water.
The 2010 United States Census8 reported that San Carlos had a population of 28,406. The population density was 5,126.9 people per square mile (1,979.5/km²). The racial makeup of San Carlos was 22,497 (79.2%) White, 233 (0.8%) African American, 65 (0.2%) Native American, 3,267 (11.5%) Asian, 70 (0.2%) Pacific Islander, 827 (2.9%) from other races, and 1,447 (5.1%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2,855 persons (10.1%).
The Census reported that 28,315 people (99.7% of the population) lived in households, 79 (0.3%) lived in non-institutionalized group quarters, and 12 (0%) were institutionalized.
There were 11,524 households, out of which 3,854 (33.4%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 6,645 (57.7%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 830 (7.2%) had a female householder with no husband present, 352 (3.1%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 481 (4.2%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 112 (1.0%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 2,972 households (25.8%) were made up of individuals and 1,109 (9.6%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.46. There were 7,827 families (67.9% of all households); the average family size was 2.99.
The population was spread out with 6,699 people (23.6%) under the age of 18, 1,176 people (4.1%) aged 18 to 24, 7,657 people (27.0%) aged 25 to 44, 8,827 people (31.1%) aged 45 to 64, and 4,047 people (14.2%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42.6 years. For every 100 females there were 93.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 90.7 males.
There were 12,018 housing units at an average density of 2,169.1 per square mile (837.5/km²), of which 8,282 (71.9%) were owner-occupied, and 3,242 (28.1%) were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 1.4%; the rental vacancy rate was 5.3%. 21,635 people (76.2% of the population) lived in owner-occupied housing units and 6,680 people (23.5%) lived in rental housing units.
As of the census3 of 2000, there were 27,238 people, 11,455 households, and 7,606 families residing in the city. The population density was 4,685.1 people per square mile (1,807.8/km²). There were 11,691 housing units at an average density of 1,976.1 per square mile (762.5/km²).
There were 11,455 households out of which 29.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.5% were married couples living together, 7.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.6% were non-families. 25.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.40 and the average family size was 2.93.
In the city the population was spread out with 22.1% under the age of 18, 4.3% from 18 to 24, 33.0% from 25 to 44, 26.2% from 45 to 64, and 14.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 92.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 88.6 males.
According to a 2007 estimate, the median income for a household in the city was $99,110, and the median income for a family was $137,325.10 Males had a median income of $70,554 versus $51,760 for females. The per capita income for the city was $46,628. 2.7% of the population and 1.4% of families were below the poverty line. Out of the total people living in poverty, 2.3% were under the age of 18 and 3.7% were 65 or older.
According to the City's 2011 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report,11 the top employers in the city are:
|#||Employer||# of Employees|
|2||Pacific Gas and Electric||350|
|3||Belmont Self Storage||323|
|6||Wells Fargo Insurance Services||185|
|8||The Home Depot||165|
|9||George P. Johnson||150|
The current mayor of San Carlos is Matt Grocott.
The public schools in San Carlos are run by the San Carlos School District, although the school district boundaries do not cover the entire city of San Carlos. There are several elementary schools (K-4) and a few middle schools (5-8), but the nearest public high school (Carlmont High School) is in the neighboring city of Belmont. In 1996, Vice President Al Gore came to speak at Arundel Elementary School in regards to Net Day '96, and former President Bill Clinton came to Charter Learning Center in 1997.
- Brittan Acres
- White Oaks
- Central Middle School, a California Distinguished School
- Tierra Linda Middle School, a California Distinguished School
- Charter Learning Center (Kindergarten through 8th grade)
- St. Charles (Roman Catholic)
- Arbor Bay School
Up until 1982 San Carlos had its own public high school, San Carlos High. It was closed due a decline in student enrollment from an overall aging of San Carlos residents, with the students of San Carlos middle schools divided up among the nearby Carlmont High School in Belmont and Sequoia High School in Redwood City. The playing fields were kept and converted into Highlands Park, which now hosts many local youth sporting groups, while the school was replaced with new housing. By the late 1990s and early first decade of the 21st century, city demographics changed again to new generation of younger families with children, with the concurrent growth in student populations a new challenge for local schools.
The city is served by the Peninsula Library System.
- U.S. Census
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: San Carlos
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Army Quartermaster Museum, Fort Lee, Virginia http://www.qmfound.com/K-9.htm
- Images of America – San Carlos by Nicholas A. Veronico & Betty S. Veronico, Arcadia Publishing
- Lemish, Michael G. War Dogs: A History of Loyalty and Heroism. Brassey’s Inc.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- All data are derived from the United States Census Bureau reports from the 2010 United States Census, and are accessible on-line here. The data on unmarried partnerships and same-sex married couples are from the Census report DEC_10_SF1_PCT15. All other housing and population data are from Census report DEC_10_DP_DPDP1. Both reports are viewable online or downloadable in a zip file containing a comma-delimited data file. The area data, from which densities are calculated, are available on-line here. Percentage totals may not add to 100% due to rounding. The Census Bureau defines families as a household containing one or more people related to the householder by birth, opposite-sex marriage, or adoption. People living in group quarters are tabulated by the Census Bureau as neither owners nor renters. For further details, see the text files accompanying the data files containing the Census reports mentioned above.
- http://www.bayareacensus.ca.gov "Demographic Profile Bay Area Census".
- City of San Carlos CAFR
- "California's 14th Congressional District - Representatives & District Map". Civic Impulse, LLC. Retrieved March 12, 2013.
- San Carlos Stories: An Oral History for the City of Good Living, by Linda Wickert Garvey, Copyright 2000 The City of San Carlos, California.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: San Carlos, California|
- Official website for the City of San Carlos
- Official website for the San Carlos School District
- Museum of San Carlos History
- San Carlos Public Library - a branch of the San Mateo County Library
- San Carlos Community Organizing