Scouting in Virginia
Scouting in Virginia has a long history, from the 1910s to the present day, serving thousands of youth in programs that suit the environment in which they live. Many of the local groups and districts took names of historic Virginia Indian tribes in the state.
Until 1948, most southern councils of the Boy Scouts of America were racially segregated, as the southern states had legal segregation of public facilities.citation needed Colored troops, as they were officially known, were given little financial support from districts and councils. The National Council began a program of integrating local councils in 1940, a process which lasted until 1974.citation needed
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (February 2011)|
There are ten Boy Scouts of America local councils in Virginia. Loudoun, Fairfax, Stafford, Prince William, King George, Westmoreland and Northumberland counties are part of the Northeast Region. Most of Virginia is within Southern Region. Tazewell, Bland and Giles counties are included in the Central Region.
Buckskin Council serves Scouts in West Virginia, Kentucky, and Giles, Bland and Tazewell Counties in Virginia.
Served by the Wahunsenakah Lodge of the Order of the Arrow.
- Chesapeake Bay District
- Colonial Trail District
- First Colony District
- Heritage District
- James River District
- Siouan District (named after the language spoken by historic Virginia Indian tribes in the Piedmont)
Formerly Robert E. Lee Council, this council was renamed in 2003.
- Camp T. Brady Saunders - established in 1963 in Maidens, Virginia
- Cub & Webelos Adventure Camp - opened in 2002 in Maidens, Virginia
- Albright Scout Reservation - on Lake Chesdin in Southern Chesterfield County, Virginia
- Arrohattoc District (formerly the southern half of Shawondasee District)
- Battlefield District
- Capitol District
- Cardinal District
- Crater District
- Huguenot Trail District (formerly the northern half of Shawondasee District, named after French immigrants of 1700)
- Rivers District, formed when Northern Neck and Rappahannock Districts were combined in 2010
The National Capital Area Council (NCAC) serves Scouts in the District of Columbia, Maryland and Loudon, Fairfax, Prince William, Fauquier, Stafford, King George, Caroline, Spotsylvania and Culpeper Counties in Virginia. NCAC operates two council camps: Goshen Scout Reservation, in Goshen, Virginia (physically within the Stonewall Jackson Area Council) and Camp Snyder in Haymarket, Virginia.
Sequoyah Council serves Scouts in Tennessee and Virginia.
Shenandoah Area Council headquarters is in Winchester, Virginia and serves Scouts in Clarke, Frederick, Page, Rappahannock, Shenandoah, and Warren counties in Virginia and Berkeley, Morgan and Jefferson Counties in West Virginia. http://www.sac-bsa.org/
- Mannahoac District: (named after the historic Manahoac tribe) Clarke County in Virginia and Jefferson County in West Virginia
- Potomac District: serves Berkeley and Morgan counties, West Virginia
- Shawnee District: (named after the historic tribe) serves the Winchester and Frederick County in Virginia and Capon Bridge and Paw Paw in West Virginia
- Shenrapawa District: serves Page, Rappahannock, Shenandoah, and Warren counties in Virginia
- Shenshawopotoo Lodge #276, established in 1944. Shenshawpotoo is a composite word, made up of the first syllables of the Council name, and the three districts in the council at the time the lodge was formed - Shawnee, Potomac, and Two Rivers.1
Tidewater Council is the local council of the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) that serves southeastern Virginia and north-eastern North Carolina. This region is often referred to as South Hampton Roads or the Tidewater or Tidewater Virginia area; hence the name of the council. One of the first councils in the country, Tidewater Council was established in 1911, just one year after William Boyce of Chicago founded scouting in the United States. It was only three years after Sir Robert Baden-Powell founded the movement in England. In 1914 the local council was issued a second-class charter, as it did not have a professional scout executive.
There are seven Girl Scout councils serving girls in Virginia; three are headquartered in the state.
See Scouting in Tennessee. Serves Virginia girls in the extreme southwest of Virginia.
See Scouting in West Virginia. Serves Virginia girls in Bland, Buchanan, and Tazewell counties.
Girl Scout Council of Colonial Coast serves over 16,500 girls, with 5,500 adult volunteers in southeastern Virginia and northeastern North Carolina. It was established in 1981.
- Camp Darden is almost 100 acres (0.40 km2) near Franklin, Virginia. It was acquired in 1961 and named after Colgate Darden and his wife.
- Camp Skimino is a 90-acre (360,000 m2) camp near Williamsburg, Virginia.
- Camp Apasus is located in Norfolk, Virginia.
- Camp Burke's Mill Pond is a 30.06-acre (121,600 m2) camp located in Gloucester County, Virginia. It was donated to the Heritage Girl Scout Council in 1975, along with an additional 6.23-acre (25,200 m2) tract which contains the original mill house. Heritage Girl Scout Council and Tidewater Girl Scout Council merged to become the Girl Scout Council of the Colonial Coast.
The Girl Scout Commonwealth Council of Virginia serves more than 16,000 girls and has about 5,700 adult volunteers in 30 central Virginia counties. It was chartered in 1963, when three smaller councils serving Fredericksburg, Richmond, and Southside Virginia merged. In 2007, Surry County was moved from this council to Colonial Coast. The first troop formed in central Virginia was Troop #1, Highland Springs in 1913.
In 1932 the first African-American troop in the South, Girl Scout Troop 101, was founded in Richmond by Lena B. Watson. It was first led by Lavnia Banks, a teacher from Armstrong High School. It first met in Hartshorn Hall, Virginia Union University. In 2008 a tree was planted in commemoration at Hartshorn Hall.
In 1922 Girl Scouts of Richmond was chartered. In 1942 Petersburg Girl Scout Council was formed and in 1944, Hopewell Girl Scout Council. In 1953 Petersburg and Hopewell merged to form Southside. In 1963 Southside, Richmond, and Fredericksburg councils merged to form the current council.
- Pamunkey Ridge Girl Scout Camp is 240 acres (0.97 km2) in Hanover, Virginia along the banks of the Pamunkey River. It was opened in 1996.
- Camp Kittamaqund is 387 acres (1.57 km2) and 5 miles (8.0 km) of shoreline on the Northern Neck. It was named after the chief in power at the time of English arrival. The property was acquired in 1964. In 2006 the council attempted to sell the property, but the sale fell through due to zoning regulations that limited redevelopment.
Earlier camps include Camp Pocahontas acquired in 1928; Camp Pinoaka, created in 1936 for African-American girl scouts; and Camp Holly Dell in 1951 (sold in 1996).
See Girl Scout Council of the Nation's Capital. Serves girls in northern Virginia as well.
This council serves about 10,500 girls in 36 Virginia counties. It was established in 1963.
- Camp Sacajawea is 119 acres (0.48 km2) on the James River near Lynchburg. It was named after the Native American woman who accompanied the Lewis and Clark Expedition.
- Camp Sugar Hollow is 60 acres (240,000 m2) at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains near Charlottesville
- Icimani Adventure Program Center in Roanoke
- Gregson Center and Museum, Pipsico Scout Reservation, Spring Grove, Virginia
- Nawakwa Lodge #3 Museum
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Scouting in Virginia|
- Blue Ridge Mountains Council
- Buckskin Council
- Colonial Virginia Council
- Del-Mar-Va Council
- National Capital Area Council
- Heart of Virginia Council
- Sequoyah Council
- Shenandoah Area Council
- Stonewall Jackson Area Council
- Tidewater Council
- record 11 Eagle Scouts in one patrol-Viking Patrol's Eagle Scout 11