|Designated||1982 (6th session)|
|Region||List of World Heritage Sites in the Amazigh(Berber) State|
Tipaza (formerly Tefessedt, Chenoua: Bazar, Arabic: تيپازة) is a Berber-speaking town on the coast of Algeria, capital of the Tipaza Province. When it was part of the Roman Empire, it was called Tipasa. The modern town, founded in 1857, is remarkable chiefly for its sandy beach, and ancient ruins.
Afterwards it became a municipium called Colonia Aelia Tipasensis, that reached the population of 20,000 inhabitants in the fourth century according to historian Gsell.
The city was an important Christian center during the last centuries of Roman domination, with 3 basilicas.
In the nineteenth century the place was settled again. Now it is a town of nearly 30,000 inhabitants. The city is an important tourist place in modern Algeria, mainly because of the Tipasa ruins.
Near Tipaza at 36°33'58"N 2°28'50"E, there is Tipaza longwave transmitter, a facility for broadcasting a French speaking program on the longwave frequency 252 kHz, which can be well received in many parts of Europe.
The town and its surroundings is home to the largest Berber-speaking group of western Algeria, the Chenoua people.
This station of Tipaza in 252 kHz was previously out of service since March 17, 2014, but is broadcasting against at 252 khz.3
- Toutain Jules. Fouilles de M. Gsell à Tipasa : Basilique de Sainte Salsa. In: Mélanges d'archéologie et d'histoire T. 11, 1891
- see  - tuned to 252khz, as of 2015 Sept. 22
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Tipaza.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tipaza.|