Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Wine
|Home||Assessment||Cleanup||Participants||Guidelines||To do list||Talkpage||Templates||Translators|
|The current Wine Improvement Drive theme is Southern Hemisphere wine-Australian, New Zealand, Argentine, Chilean, South African, etc.
Feel free to contribute to any articles related to this month's theme.
|WikiProject Wine was featured in a WikiProject Report in the Signpost on 11 December 2013. If you wish to get involved with the Signpost, please visit the Newsroom.|
|This talk page is automatically archived by MiszaBot II. Any threads with no replies in 30 days may be automatically moved to Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Wine/Archive 13. Sections without timestamps are not archived.|
|WikiProject Wine||(Rated Project-class, High-importance)|
|This subject is featured in the Outline of wine, which is incomplete and needs further development. That page, along with the other outlines on Wikipedia, is part of Wikipedia's Outline of Knowledge, which also serves as the table of contents or site map of Wikipedia.|
- Commons:Commons:Deletion requests/File:Perrier Jouet Cuvee Belle Epoque '96.jpg
- Commons:Commons:Deletion requests/File:Mouton Rothschild 2001.jpg
- Commons:Commons:Deletion requests/File:Mouton-1989.JPG
- Commons:Commons:Deletion requests/File:Plavac wine.JPG
- Commons:Commons:Deletion_requests/File:Egyptian wine.jpg
- Commons:Commons:Deletion requests/File:Mouton-1988.JPG
- Commons:Commons:Deletion requests/File:Revin-02.jpg
- Commons:Commons:Deletion requests/File:Sagrantino 2.JPG
Hi guys - long time no edit etc etc. My wiki-time remains limited but I thought it was worth mentioning that I now have a copy of the Jancis/Harding/Vouillamoz Wine Grapes book if anyone needs some specific help with referencing grape articles - it's pretty much the definitive modern (post-DNA-sequencing) ampelography. At present I only really have the time to do targeted edits, in the first instance I suggest only Top/High importance grapes, articles that are close to getting to GA, and parentage for the varieties that are important genetically if not vinously - probably best if you give me a shout direct on my user Talk page as the most immediate way of getting in touch. Longer term it would be great to use it to ensure that there was an article on all 1368 grapes listed, but that's a long-term fantasy given my time right now. The typical format for a variety includes:
- Principal Synonyms
- Varieties commonly mistaken for X
- Origins & Parentage
- Other Hypotheses
- Viticultural Characteristics
- Where It's Grown and What Its Wine Tastes Like
The latter is the kind of thing that can be hard to reference even if it's "obvious" - as an example there's 6 pages for Cabernet just on location/taste. I also have the Jancis The Oxford Companion to Wine which is also a useful reference.FlagSteward (talk) 02:26, 2 February 2014 (UTC)
- Hey Flag, good to see you again. As you may have garner, things are pretty quiet these days so it may be a task to try to get anything coordinated going. I also have Jancis' Wine Grape book (as Tomas does as well, if I recall) and I do agree that updating our grape articles with the most current and reliable source on origins and naming should probably be a priority. I've done a little work, here and there, like moving the Charbono/Bonarda article over to Douce noir and updating it, sorting out Bombino nero from Bombino bianco, etc. Mostly I've been doing "smaller projects" that I can get done in a couple hours verses larger page rewrites and article improvements since my time here has been greatly reduced. I still try to keep an eye on this page and would be willing to try to help where I can if you are feeling particularly ambitious about tackling something. AgneCheese/Wine 04:41, 5 February 2014 (UTC)
As of January, the popular pages tool has moved from the Toolserver to Wikimedia Tool Labs. The code has changed significantly from the Toolserver version, but users should notice few differences. Please take a moment to look over your project's list for any anomalies, such as pages that you expect to see that are missing or pages that seem to have more views than expected. Note that unlike other tools, this tool aggregates all views from redirects, which means it will typically have higher numbers. (For January 2014 specifically, 35 hours of data is missing from the WMF data, which was approximated from other dates. For most articles, this should yield a more accurate number. However, a few articles, like ones featured on the Main Page, may be off).
Web tools, to replace the ones at tools:~alexz/pop, will become available over the next few weeks at toollabs:popularpages. All of the historical data (back to July 2009 for some projects) has been copied over. The tool to view historical data is currently partially available (assessment data and a few projects may not be available at the moment). The tool to add new projects to the bot's list is also available now (editing the configuration of current projects coming soon). Unlike the previous tool, all changes will be effective immediately. OAuth is used to authenticate users, allowing only regular users to make changes to prevent abuse. A visible history of configuration additions and changes is coming soon. Once tools become fully available, their toolserver versions will redirect to Labs.
If you have any questions, want to report any bugs, or there are any features you would like to see that aren't currently available on the Toolserver tools, see the updated FAQ or contact me on my talk page. Mr.Z-bot (talk) (for Mr.Z-man) 05:34, 23 February 2014 (UTC)
Help from someone knowledgeable about Italian wines has been requested at the top of Wikipedia:Templates for discussion/Log/2014 February 18#Template:Infobox Italian wine. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 12:04, 28 March 2014 (UTC)
Potential COI editor at Heitz Wine Cellars
We may just need to keep an eye on this page and on the edits of the anon IP who seemed personally offended at some slightly negative PR for Heitz regarding the TCA problem they had a few years back. This info is reliable sourced and was added by Murgh, a well regarded editor with no POV bias, years ago. I restored the anon's deletion with one minor factual change that the anon was correct in pointing out. But, again, this may be something we need to keep an eye on for any future edits. AgneCheese/Wine 15:15, 2 April 2014 (UTC)